Cult leader's body rotting at compound

Cult leader Tomas Eugenio's dead body is still not buried.

Sun Star (Philippines)/December 3, 2004
By Joey P. Nacalaban

In a radio interview, Charlie Eugenio said his father died last September 26 this year.

He said that they did not embalm the body.

He also mentioned about the death of his sister Princess Eugenio who, according to him wasn't also buried.

He said though such belief couldn't make other people understand, Charlie said he is also hoping that proper respect should be extended to them.

"Ang issue diri kung manimaho ba ug makapurwesyo sa mga tawo nga namoyo diri, pero wala man. Amo lang gapahanginan ang lawas pirmi sa (The issue here is if it is smelling and had inconvenienced people living there but it didn't. We had the body cooled by an) electric fan," Charlie said.

The body, reports said has not been placed in a coffin.

Charlie also declared they didn't secure a permit from the town hall and said there is no problem because even the town mayor was already informed of the incident.

When he was asked when to bury the master, Charlie replied he couldn't give the date.

But he assured that their group would inform the public soon.

Eugenio was a former member of the Philippine Benevolent Missionary Association (PBMA) of Ruben Ecleo Sr. until he left to establish his own group in San Antonio, Jasaan town in Misamis Oriental.

Eugenio was revered by millions of his followers as their "god" and called him "master."

He established the Philippine Benevolent Christian Missionary (PBCM) years back.

The group claimed they have branches throughout the Philippines as well as other foreign countries. Its main headquarters is located on the hill of Barangay San Antonio, Jasaan, Misamis Oriental.

The information about Eugenio's death had been the talk of Jasaan town until some residents living near the "palace" began to complain about the foul odor emanating from the place.

Eugenio came into local prominence after being arrested together with some followers for illegal possession of high-powered firearms and ammunition.

Authorities raided the place and recovered several firearms and ammunition inside Eugenio's rooms.

He was then put behind bars at the Misamis Oriental Provincial Jail but several days later he was released for posting bail for his temporary liberty.

He was also once a respondent of a murder case filed by his own members.

To see more documents/articles regarding this group/organization/subject click here.