A Riverside County Superior Court judge on Wednesday barred the parents of 13 siblings found last week living captive in their Perris home from contacting their children.
David Turpin, 56, and Louise Turpin, 49, whose children were discovered last week after one of them escaped and called 911, appeared at the Riverside Hall of Justice for a brief hearing before Judge Emma Smith. Smith approved a three-year protective order that bars the parents from contacting their children in any way — including by phone or electronically — except through their lawyer.
Prosecutors have accused the Turpins of inflicting severe abuse and torture on the siblings, who range in age from 2 to 29.
The charges against each defendant include 12 counts of torture and 12 counts of false imprisonment, seven counts of abuse of a dependent adult and six counts of child abuse. David Turpin was also charged with one count of a lewd act on a child under the age of 14.
They face up to 94 years in prison if convicted and have pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Prosecutors say the Turpins punished their children by beating and choking them, tying them to beds for weeks or months at a time, depriving them of food and forcing them to stay up all night and sleep during the day.
Smith read aloud the list of requirements included in the protective order — which is common in abuse cases — as the Turpins, who wore black suits provided by their attorneys, listened quietly.
The couple, who are in custody in lieu of $12-million bail each, were told to stay at least 100 yards away from their children unless they are in court. They were also barred from having firearms if they were to be released.
"You must have no personal, telephone or electronic or written contact" with the children, Smith told each of the Turpins. The order is set to expire on Jan. 24, 2021.
The couple is next expected in court on Feb. 23.
To see more documents/articles regarding this group/organization/subject click here.