Philadelphia -- Two more Roman Catholic priests from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia have been found unsuitable for ministry after sexually abusing children.
The archdiocese said it had substantiated allegations of sexual abuse of a minor against Monsignors George J. Mazzotta, 73, and Hugh P. Campbell, 77, who were both ordained in the 1960s and held a series of positions in Philadelphia-area parishes and hospitals.
Mazzotta has not been permitted to work or present himself as a priest since May 2010 when the archdiocese received the abuse allegation against him and reported it to law enforcement.
Campbell, who retired in 2007, has been on administrative leave since December 2011 when he reported having sexually abused a minor, the archdiocese said.
Both monsignors agreed to accept a supervised life of prayer and penance, and the findings were announced over the weekend to members of their most recent parishes, the archdiocese said.
The two priests are not among the group of 26 that have been under investigation since a 2011 grand jury report accused the archdiocese of covering up sexual abuse allegations against dozens of priests.
On May 4, Archbishop Charles J. Chaput said that five of the 26 priests had been judged unsuitable for ministry and would be barred from working as priests unless they successfully appeal the findings to the Vatican. Ultimately, they may be "defrocked'' or laicized. Another three priests were cleared, and 17 more cases are being investigated.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, a victims' advocacy group, said the latest findings were another indication of the archdiocese failing to act promptly in response to abuse allegations.